This recipe comes from the kitchen of Deirdre Cooksley, whom I have not seen in more than 20 years, but who has jumped on the Nourishing Camie bandwagon wholeheartedly with a ton of great recipes I have enjoyed trying. Thanks, D!
3 tbsp. cooking oil
2 lbs. stewing beef, cut up
6 medium onions
1 tsp. oregano leaves
1 tsp. rosemary leaves
1 tsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
5½ oz. can tomato paste
1 cup water
28 oz. can tomatoes
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
3 large carrots, thickly sliced
4 celery sticks, thickly sliced
2¼ cups raw macaroni
- Heat oil in frying pan. Brown beef. Transfer to large pot.
- Peel and cut onions in eighths. Brown in frying pan. Transfer to pot.
- Measure oregano, rosemary, chili, seasoned salt, salt, and flour into medium-sized bowl. Stir well. Add next 4 ingredients. Mix together and add to meat. Bring to boil. Simmer covered for 1 hour, 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery to meat. Simmer covered 45 minutes until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain. Add to meat mixture.
Serves 8. 402 calories per serving.