While this recipe is a little labour intensive (I intend to try it again with larger pieces of fish – which should also bring the calorie count down a smidge) the nuggets are crispy, crunchy goodness and the tartar sauce, well, let’s just say enjoy it in moderation.
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add panko and thyme to pan; cook 2 minutes or until golden brown, shaking pan frequently.
- Combine panko mixture, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Place flour in another shallow dish.
- Combine 2 tablespoons water and egg in another shallow dish.
- Dredge fish in flour mixture. Dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture. Arrange fish in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake fish at 400° for 12 minutes or until done.
- Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a bowl; serve with nuggets.
Serves 4: 287 calories per serving (6 nuggets and 1tbsp tartar sauce)
*While I cannot prove this is the best damn tartar sauce on Earth, I am willing to duel at 20 paces with anyone who contests the claim.