Another winner from Nourishing Camie’s friend and follower Deirdre!
2 tbsp. olive or canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
3 white- or whole-wheat bread slices
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
1 medium carrot, finely shredded
1½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- In a saucepan over medium heat, to the hot salad oil, add the chopped onion and celery.
- Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a slotted spoon.
- Into large bowl, tear bread slices into small pieces
- Add onion and celery mixture.
- To the bread and onion mixture add the lean ground beef, shredded carrot, salt, pepper, egg, and one half of the can of tomato sauce. Stir thoroughly to mix.
- In a 12×8 inch baking dish, with hands, shape ground beef mixture into 8×4 inch loaf; set aside.
- In cup with spoon, combine the light brown sugar, cider vinegar, prepared mustard and remaining tomato sauce.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon sauce over meat loaf in baking dish.
- Bake in 350° oven for 1½ hours.
- Serve meat loaf warm; or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.
Serves 6: 372 calories per serving